To school or not to school?

We live in rural NSW, Australia.  When they refer to that 3% of Australia that will probably never have mobile phone coverage or any sort of Broadband internet coverage (of any speed, let alone Fast Internet.)  Add to that the TV aerial is still hanging off the side of the roof (I’m getting around to it, I promise) and you kind of realise we are a little out of the communications setup.  We have a radio, which picks up a station from about 75 K’s away, and no way I’m listening to the one 25 K’s away (Golden Oldies – not yet my friend!)

Add to that 100 mm of rain, or 300 mm of rain.  Or not.  Do you think you’ll make it to work tomorrow?  Chances are probably.  I said if the school bus made it out our way I’d make it in to work.  However, after raining moderately hard all night, the school bus went past and it was p*ssing down.  So the chances of making it back in the afternoon?  Who the heck knows.

If we had the TV we would have been worse off really because they’d been saying for nearly 48 hours that we were being ‘lashed by rain’ and ‘hundreds evacuated’ and ‘a whole lot more.’  At that stage there was light to no rain.  They had shut the gates across the causeways around town as they go under very easily.  The next morning there were film crews standing at the gates filming no floods.  Hmmm.

I decided not to send the teen on the school bus in case she wasn’t able to get home again.  I rang work and told them the same deal.  And then felt really guilty.  We’re on a big hill here and no real problems for us.  Have put the horses on this side of the farm so there is not a waterway rushing thru the paddock, and they have high ground and tree cover to retreat to.  Of course, they are actually skittering around the wet, muddy, slidey paddocks like idiots, instead.  Three of them are boys and the other is always hormonal so what could you expect!  The rain slowed off again.  You just can’t help feeling like you should have done the usual.  But then there are some awesome photo’s of the causeways, what used to be training grounds, and some people’s front/back yards.

Our dry creek bed

Here’s our waterway through the farm – not a danger to us, athough some of those trees don’t look like they’ll last long which is a great shame.



The principal is probably going to be pretty ticked since this day or two off might upset his drive for us sending our children to school, and not allowing them days off.  It’s so hard to decide what to do early in the morning (I’ve never been a morning person) especially when you seem to live in a communication vacuum.  I’m glad that I decided to stay home and keep the teen here tho.  Another town sent out a message for parents to come collect their kids; one of the childcare centres was evacuated (now wouldn’t THAT be fun!).

Deep waters

Oh dear, that news update just stated that both Nursing Homes had been evacuated.  Now that is a nightmare!  Trying to move all those people and where to?  And those dementia clients will be so distressed.

Rushing waters

Well, hope the rain doesn’t go on too long so everyone can get back where they belong, and that everyone and their animals are safe.

One of my daughters classmates went to schoo and was unable to get home again – half the road fell off the mountainside.  It could be fun – the road won’t be fixed for about 3 months they say….hope there’s another way they can travel when it gets a bit drier.  If that ever happens.  This particular week I had to make two trips to the coast (usually a couple of times a year!)  One alternate road is to light for the trucks – altho I passed 5 altogether on my 3 runs.  The other road has 4-5 major roadworks on it………..this is going to be a long, long 3 months.  Not that I’m really that keen to go back on ‘The Road That Fell From the Mountain’ again anytime soon or later.  Interestingly the safety rail stayed, just the road completely fell away under it!

Leave a Reply